Thursday, May 12, 2011

His Holiness and Handkerchief Invitations.

As I mentioned on the b.l.o.g , I went to see the Dalai Lama speak at the University of Arkansas Wednesday afternoon.

I’m a little ashamed to admit that I didn’t know much about Tibet’s history until I started reading up on His Holiness.

Side note: Do you ever feel like there’s so much you want to learn about, but your brain just can’t retain it all? (I know … I sound like an idiot. I promise I’m not.)

As we waited for HHDL to come out and speak, I started to get excited. I mean, it really is so cool that northwest Arkansas hosted the 14th Dalai Lama. How many people can say they’ve watched in speak … in person?

Unfortunately, I couldn’t understand much of what was said. A lot of it had to do with the sound in Bud Walton Arena. I actually had trouble understanding everyone because the echo of the microphone. When I rule the world, I’ll fix that.

His afternoon talk was titled “Non-Violence in the New Century: The Way Forward." We also got to see him receive an honorary degree from the University of Arkansas.

After reading several news stories, and thinking about the parts I could understand, here are a few of my favorite things he talked about:

  • We are all human beings and everyone wants happiness. He then said mere sensorial satisfaction did not define happiness and there was the need for a deeper mental level satisfaction.
  • He said those individuals who received warm heartedness and affection when they were young developed a more positive outlook than those who did not receive them. This really got to me because of the platform of our Junior League—domestic violence.
  • He said we could bring peace to the world through action. And peace does not mean there would be no problems in the world. He joked that all problems in the world would disappear only if the human species disappeared or when there was a change in the human brain.
  • One of the most important points I think he made was that we need to promote a culture of dialogue and an awareness of warm-heartedness.
Overall, I’m so glad I got to have this experience. And I have my fantastic friend Colleen (and her lovely parents) to thank for getting our tickets and saving us awesome seats. I heart you!

Sweet, Southern Invitation

My friend Rachel is getting married in less than three weeks. I knew what her invitation was going to be before I received it, but I was still so impressed when I opened the cream envelope.

She made this herself. She found the idea, figured out all the pieces, and put her on touches on it.

And I think it’s amazing.



Please don't crash the reception. :)

I can’t wait to celebrate her big day!

No comments: