Monday, November 29, 2010

Sticks and stones.

Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

I think the first time you cry about something a person says to you in elementary school teaches you this statement is not true. Words do hurt people.

I believe in constructive criticism. Sure, sometimes that even makes people mad. But you can almost guarantee the person will learn from it.

Last week, I got the first mean comment I’ve ever received on my blog. I don’t think it would bother me as much if it wasn’t anonymous. I think that speaks volumes about the kind of person that would write something mean.

Here is the comment:
"wow, could you be more narcissistic? and maybe you wouldn't have to worry about going to the gym so much if you didn't eat processed crap all the time like pop-tarts and cool whip pies."


This is MY blog. It’s about MY life. The people who read it every day are mostly my family and friends. I live a few hours from my family, so it’s a way for them to keep up with my day-to-day life.

I write because I LOVE to write.

If writing about MY life makes me narcissistic, that’s fine. I’d rather someone think of me as a narcissist than a mean person who says or writes things to intentionally hurt another person.

I go to the gym because it’s good for me, and it makes me feel good.

Sure, I don’t always eat 100 percent healthy, but I’d like to meet a person who does. Because guess what? We’re not perfect. You’re not. I’m not. And no matter how hard we try, we can always try harder. We can always have more faith.

I would be lying if I said I’ve never thought or said something negative about another person (again, I’m not perfect). But I can say I would NEVER anonymously write something to someone that was mean, hurtful, judgmental, etc.

Being a bully is pointless. We’ve all seen in the news recently just how much your words can affect another person.

If you think I could eat something better than a Poptart (which I RARELY) eat, offer a suggestion instead of a mean comment. I love comments. I love feedback. I love suggestions. I don't like mean people. And if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. Didn’t we all learn that by the time we were 5?


No, I'm not going to point out every time I receive a mean comment. I know there will probably be more to come. I won't delete them (unless it's inappropriate). But everyone should remember the POWER of what you say, what you write, and even what you think.

I love writing. I love my blog. And I’m not changing anything. Thankyouverymuch.

5 comments:

Angie said...

I agree....I saw that comment right after I left mine and couldn't believe someone could write something so mean. The fact they didn't share their name shows what kind of person he/she is.
I often find myself editing what I blog about and then realize it's my blog about my life and what I am feeling at that moment. Keep your head up, you have a cute blog! :)

Liz said...

Your eating cool whip pies without me? I would stay home more if I knew that.

Allison said...

Thanks, ladies! I do the same thing Angie. I worry about how something will sound--then I realize it's my blog, and I don't have to worry! I just try not to offend people...

And Liz, you know I sit around and eat Cool Whip all the time. We should have a whole day devoted to it! Good thing I finally know where to find it in the grocery store; otherwise my Cool Whip addiction would be difficult to maintain. I'm guessing the person was referring to the pie I made for Kitchen Queens, which I made again this weekend for my family. They loved it, too!

Kelsey said...

Ooh, a hater! That means you're an official blogger. Congrats, Alli Walker!

Brave enough to post a comment but too scared to leave a name or profile. Oh, the joys of anonymity on the Internet.

MK said...

I love that this person criticized you for going to the gym. As if everyone goes because they have to. Last time I checked, going to the gym was a great thing, regardless if you eat carrot sticks for all 3 meals or processed everything. I haven't been by your blog in awhile, it looks great, I have a lot of catching up to do!