Thursday, May 13, 2010

How rich are you?

If you’re like me, you’ve probably thought about how nice it would be to have endless amounts of money. Well, you’re a little richer than you realize. At least I know I am. In fact, I’m in the top 3.17 percent richest people in the world, according to http://globalrichlist.com/ You just enter your salary, and it tells you your exact place and percentage. It’s quite eye opening. Because by America’s “standards,” I’m definitely not what I (or you) would consider rich.

Did you know if you make $25,000 a year, you are in the top 10 percent richest people in the world? I’m pretty sure it would be hard to live on $25,000 a year in the U.S. How did things get so skewed?

There are about 6.7 billion people in the world. 309 million of them live in the U.S. We have about 4.5 percent of the world’s population. China has about 19 percent.

It’s easy to forget just how privileged we are. I know I do. I complain about money like most people I know. But the reality is, I’m more fortunate than a lot of people in the world, and I need to work harder at realizing that. And I know I’m not alone.
*image via

No comments: