Friday, April 23, 2010

Someday, Melissa.

I had a post planned for today, but it will have to wait until next week. I heard this story on the Today Show this morning, and I wanted to share it.

Bulimia: A mother's loss inspires film
Most people don't realize how serious eating disorders can be. I think most women in the United States struggle with body image on some level. How could you not in the world we live in where you're surrounded by images of the "ideal" woman, who in reality looks nothing like most of us. And until you've experienced an eating disorder, I don't think you can identify with the hold it can take over a person.

"Someday, Melissa" is a documentary Judy Avrin started working on after her daughter died from complications of bulimia last May. She had a heart attack at age 19. She had just been accepted to the college of her dreams. Judy used Melissa's journal as inspiration.

"Someday...

I'll eat breakfast.
I'll keep a job for more than 3 weeks.
I'll have a boyfriend for more than 10 days.
I'll love someone.

I'll travel wherever I want.
I'll make my family proud.
I'll make a movie that will change lives."

You can read the New York Times article about Melissa and her mother's journey here and you can visit the documentary's website here.


3 comments:

Confessions of a Northern Belle said...

Oh my goodness how sad....

Anonymous said...

From Theresa G. For almost 8 years,
I have watched my beautiful first born daughter wither away through anorexia nervosa; flown her to the top best eating disorder facilities in the country (USA); then have for the past 8 years battle with Bulimia; and still at it at the age of 31 years old.
I have remained hopeful and am so sorry for your loss...
I don't know what to do except pray for my daughter.She is about to lose all that has been so precious to her such as her boyfriend who has been by her side for the past 15 years...what can one do? but be hopeful!

Anonymous said...

I just somehow understand; they really think they will fight this thing by continuing it's vicious cycle. I don't know what to think anymore.
They have a will to live a normal life; yet can't find their way. Why???