Friday, September 4, 2009

Julia's Inspiration

Quick update: Kelsey said I should move the red coat up on my list, and I agree (although I'm not going to mess with changing the list, and it was in no particular order anyways...) So have it duly noted that the red coat is indeed at the top of my wish list. In the words of Rachel Zoe, "I die!"

Critical critics
I know I'm a little late in this, but I saw Julie and Julia last night, and I loved it. The critics were, well, very critical of it.

What did I think?
I thought it was a delicious movie full of laughter and sparkle. It's one of those movies that truly makes you feel happy throughout it and not in the romantic, love kind of way. Meryl Streep brings a character to life that much of my generation is not familiar with.

Interestingly, in a game of Cranium with my family a few months ago, I drew a card to act out Julia Child. I had no clue. I let my dad do the work.

Now, I'm inspired by her. Will I master the art of French cooking? Probably not. But her dedication is inspirational and her life is fascinating. Did you know she was one of the first female spies in the OSS (forerunner to the CIA)? The same can be said of Julie Powell, the woman who decided to cook all 524 (?) of Julia Child's recipes and blog about it. One of the things that makes the movie so good is that both stories are real. Two women separated by decades coming together to show impossible dreams can come true.

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting on the steak to cook." -Julia Child

"The secret to a happy marriage is finding the right person. You know they're the right person if you like to be with them all the time." -Julia Child

"The measure of achievement is not winning awards. It's doing something that you appreciate; something you believe is worthwhile." -Julia Child

No comments: