Thursday, September 10, 2009

...And Junior League Starts



*I apologize for not posting yesterday. I didn't have time to do anything Tuesday night because I had Junior League, and I was super busy at work yesterday. But still, no excuses. I failed.

(photo: my Junior League new member color group--the red team)

Junior League of Northwest Arkansas
Speaking of Junior League--I talk about it a lot, but I thought it might be fun (?) if I explained it a little bit. The mission statement of the Junior League of Northwest Arkansas is: "The Junior League of Northwest Arkansas is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women and improving communities through effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable."

Community Focus
Our community focus is domestic violence and child abuse in northwest Arkansas. We also added hunger this year. In northwest Arkansas, you have to be 24 years old to be a member of Junior League.

There are 294 Junior Leagues in the United States, Canada, Mexico and the United Kingdom.

How did Junior League start?
The history of the Junior League is pretty interesting, and you can read about it here. In 1901, 19-year-old Mary Harriman, a New York City debutante with a social conscience, formed the Junior League to improve child health, nutrition and literacy among immigrants living on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. Eleanor Roosevelt (I love, love her), a friend of Mary's, joined the League in 1903 teaching calisthenics and dancing to young girls at the College Settlement House.

That's just a brief overview of what the Junior League does. Besides Eleanor Roosevelt, other famous Junior League members include Ambassador Shirley Temple Black, Barbara Bush, Sandra Day O'Connor, Pulitzer Prize Winner Eudora Welty, Laura Bush and Katherine Hepburn.

I'm in my new member year of Junior League. New members are accepted each spring, and they start their new year in the fall. So far, I love it, and I am so happy to give back to a community that gives so much to me.

Happy Thursday!

No comments: