Monday, July 27, 2009

Monday Memories


This will be the title for all my Monday posts. I will share both new and old memories. First, because I know you're dying to know about my weekend, I will tell you. P.S. The photo to the right is from last weekend. The blue drinks in our hands are blueberry flavored, and they were quite tasty. They're a specialty at a place called 21st Amendment. Clever name, huh?

Friday: The move went amazingly quick. My dear friend Sarah's boyfriend, Brandon, came over and helped Adam move the big stuff. I used this time to shove as much of my stuff (Adam called it junk...and many other words) in bags. Not boxes. You see, I didn't really pack anything. Since I was only moving about 500 feet, I didn't feel this was necessary. After some quick clean up, we headed to US Pizza for some salsa and barbecue chicken pizza. Both are amazing.

Saturday: We spent this cloudy day at the lake. *See photo and notice what is absent. This day was uneventful until I almost died. OK--maybe I'm exaggerating, but I did get knocked in the back of the neck with the wake board tower. To go under the bridge, we have to take the bolts out. Adam was doing one side and our friend Dave was doing the other. Dave let go and noticed it stayed up, so he wasn't worried about it. Shortly after, the HUGE, HEAVY, STEEL thing comes crashing down. Adam was able to grab it, but it was so heavy he could only slow down the impact. I got pretty lucky. It forced my face to plant into my legs, and my neck is very sore, but I'm ALIVE!

That evening, we headed to the Lambeth Lounge at Carnall Hall (see photo) to celebrate (mourn) Ragan, my friend of about 13 years, moving to England for a few months. Ragan's sister Brandy is in the Navy, and she is stationed in England. Ragan is taking advantage of this opportunity to spend some quality time with her sister, who has been in Afghanistan for a year. Brandy's awesome--she's an Arabic translator--very impressive. Sadly, I did not take any photos of this.

Sunday: We went to brunch at Cafe Rue Orleans to spend some more time with Ragan before she leaves. I had french toast and Adam had a po' boy; both were delicious. Cafe Rue is a wonderful hole in the wall place in Fayetteville, and it has 99 cent mimosas on Sundays. I opted for the coffee, but the mimosas sure looked tasty.

I spent the afternoon cleaning my old apartment and staring at all the stuff in my new (tiny) apartment. I stared because I have no idea what to do with all of it. I will take a picture tonight to show you the ridiculous mess. After seeing this photo, please feel free to come help me. And if you don't, at least feel sorry for me.

I also finished the book I'm reading--Anybody Out There? by Marion Keyes. I don't think I have ever laughed or cried so much while reading a book. It made me a mess, but it was a wonderful, funny, touching way to look into the deep issues of love, loss and anger--and it still had a lighthearted tone.

Old memory: Reading this book makes me think about all the summers I spent curled up with a book early in the morning at my grandparents' house in Fort Smith. My grandmother, as well as my mom, always encouraged us to read. My Mamaw would take us to the library and we would "max" out the library card. Papaw was OK with this kind of "maxing" out! The first time I read a Judy Blume book was at my grandparents' house. Mamaw had an old copy of Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. I still think this 1970 book is timeless and has helped turn many young women into avid readers. I've read hundreds (or more) books in my life, and I am so thankful that I had (and have) two amazing women in life who set such a good example for me and Kristin. I love you both so, so much!

Happy Monday!!!

No comments: