Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Carbs: Friend or Foe?

I admit, carbs are scary. The white pasta drenched in sauce or the bread soaked in butter--they just stare at you, begging you to dive in. Those guys are obviously evil, right?

A few weeks ago I decided I would try to do my own version of "The Atkins Diet." I'm not a fan of fads. I know the key to long-term success is to eat a well-balanced diet ALL the time. I know, I know...blah blah blah. Easier said than done, like all things. Well...the low carb thing is hard. No fruit? What am I supposed to grab before my 5:30 a.m. workout? A chocolate crisp Atkins bar? No thanks. Those things are disgusting! Believe me, I bought a "few" boxes, and they are sitting in my drawer at the office. Knowing that it only has 3 net carbs is not enough to get me through it.

I read this article on Yahoo!, and I thought it was interesting. When did we become afraid of food? I think when we became obsessed with it. There are many wonderful things about being an adult, but one of the childhood things I wish I could hold on to is the notion of eating when I was hungry. Most kids aren't obsessed with food like adults are. Growing up is complicated but eating shouldn't be. We should all learn to steer ourselves from the "simplicity" of processed foods (ironic because we would need a factory full of chemicals to make them on our own) and go back to the simplicity of enjoying food for its natural taste. I'll let you know when that happens.



No comments: